Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Don't back down, you gota be a little nuts


I will admit right here, right goddamn now that I am a Beach Boys fan. My fan-dom has seen many stages. From my Mom telling me about her high school boyfriend dedicating God Only Knows to her, to actually listening to Sloop John B for the first time, to going to see "them" in New Brunswick with The Bingz, to my cousin and 2 friends singing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" at a karaoke place to me on my 18th birthday in Myrtle Beach, SC, to Wendy, to finally spending time with Pet Sounds, to my girl turning me onto a song(I dare you not to wiggle)I had never actually payed attention to before(which we eventually had played at our wedding), I have been a fan. Sure, there have been some down times. I gave up completely on them and was strictly a Beatles man(ok not the Beatles, but have I shown you this yet?!), who could blame me, but at the end of the day, The Beach Boys are fucking great. There are a bunch of videos up with a bit of insight into the recording of Pet Sounds. Click it here. I love watching this type of shit for any band, but it's great to see the Beach Boys.

Linking of YouTube videos, did you know you can add "&fmt=18" to the end of a link on YouTube videos, and get hi-res/stereo versions of the same videos? Try it.

Those videos remind me of a show I've been watching a show on VH1 Classic about "Classic Albums" called Classic Albums. Basically a band, x amount of years later, talking about a record they recorded, and they'll usually be sitting behind a mixing board and break out the mixes and give you snippets of stuff soloed or sometimes give you an original demo and talk about how the song came to be. It's pretty cool, but it's hardly on. Looking on that wiki link, there are alot more I need to watch, but every one I have caught so far has been pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment